Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Last Night in Amsterdam

Tonight is my last night in Amsterdam. I'm sitting in my room that has become so familiar in just a few months trying to finish packing. I am looking forward to returning to my friends and family, but it's hard to let go of this pretty little city. Although it's cliche, I have learned a lot here. In Amsterdam, I learned how to live a comfortable, slower lifestyle. Having two huge windows (and a window seat) and living on a gorgeous canal has made me look forward to waking up to the sun and the joy of people watching as fresh air blows into my room. My daily bike rides make me want to shout out "la la la," and I often do. I shop for fresh vegetables every 2 days and don't have a tv. I haven't bought clothes in months (I admit to buying one pair of shoes), and I have no idea what is going on pop culture-wise. I am more aware of when I am talking very loudly because I get self-conscious about being too American. My beautiful European friends seem very comfortable in their own skin and are so open to meeting and befriending others without judgment. I look up to them.

I hope that when I return to New York and am faced with long lines and the city's materialistic pleasures, I won't lose the peace I've attained. If Prinsengracht was in New York, I'd be in heaven.

No comments: