Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Double Happiness Death Van

My two week hiatus from blogging is over. I'm back in NYC, graduated from law school, and am now in Barbri classes. I just had a really great Memorial Day weekend at Bethany Beach with my friend JPK and her family. We beached, rode bikes, ate, read, napped, attempted to swim (too cold), watched BSG, outlet shopped, and played with her puppy. Lovely weekend! The trip back to NYC was decidedly NOT lovely.

Let this post be your warning about the Double Happiness Chinatown bus from Wilmington, Delaware to New York City. This bus runs from Baltimore to New York with a stop in Wilmington, and it costs $20 one way or $35 roundtrip. Greyhound is usually $38 one way, and Amtrak ranges on average from $65-over $100 one way. I have taken Double Happiness without incident about 33% of the total number of times I have tried. The bus generally works fine on weekdays, and I have never had trouble with the bus from New York to Wilmington.

AVOID the Wilmington to New York bus at all costs during popular travel times such as Friday evenings, Sunday evenings, and holidays. This company oversells the buses, so by the time the bus arrives in Wilmington from Baltimore, there are generally only a few seats left. The company gives priority to people who have bought their tickets online, but that's no longer an advantage because everyone buys their tix online, and there just aren't enough seats. They used to set up little folding chairs in the aisle for people to sit in, but I think they've stopped that for safety reasons. Another way that they've dealt with this is by shuttling passengers in 15 passenger vans to Philly, where you catch another Chinatown bus to New York. Not the most pleasant thing but not terrible. I've also ridden in a random Chinese woman's mini-van to Philly. She was a friend of the ticket collector (also owner?). The ticket collector also asked my dad if he would take additional people to Philly in our car for money. My dad said NO.

Yesterday, I made the stupid decision to try to take the bus even though it was Memorial Day. the bus had 3 open seats, so JPK and I rushed to the passenger van. Unlike the past, however, the ticket collector himself hopped in and said he was driving the 16 passengers (one sitting on a folding seat between the two front seats) directly to New York. The seat belts didn't work. The driver proceeded to drive like a madman. He was weaving in and out of traffic at 90 mph and tailgating every vehicle including tractor trailers. We passed the bus we were supposed to be on, and still the driver continued to speed and drive wildly. In Chinese, I told him to be more careful, and he replied, "don't worry." But we did worry especially when we almost collided with the tractor trailer he was tailgating. You know it's not good when you are HOPING the police pull you over.

I told the driver that we had to pull over at a rest stop for a bathroom break, and JPK promptly called a cab to pick us up and take us to the closest NJ Transit station (New Brunswick). I told the driver we weren't getting back into the van because he was driving like a crazy person, and he told me he's had 15 years experience and that I should just get in because we were 30 minutes away (absolutely false). We left the death van for good and made a pact NEVER to take the Double Happiness bus ever again.

For those seeking options from Wilmington, Delaware to New York.
  • Take Greyhound (though this can be crazy crowded going the opposite direction from Port Authority to Wilmington).
  • Fork over a chunk of change for the 2.5 hr train ride on Amtrak. Early morning and late night trains are discounted.
  • Take SEPTA from Wilmington to Philly then Philly to Trenton. Take NJ Transit from Trenton to NYC.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on graduating Law School. Good luck on the Bar.