I had a discussion today with my best friend D about privacy. She was surprised to learn that I allow my photos that I've posted on Facebook to be seen by all of my networks and friends. Although I don't think there's any privacy issue here, she said that I should change it to a stricter setting to take into account the privacy of people who are in my photos. I disagree. People are responsible for policing their own privacy. I do and think it is appropriate to consider the privacy of my friends to a certain extent; I filter based on reason. For example, I am unlikely to blab on my public blog using first and last names of friends who have done something mortifying and also unlikely to post photos of friends who are doing incriminating things or look terrible. Beyond this reasonable filter, however, it's not my job to protect the privacy of my friends. People should assume that anything posted online is essentially publicly available. Anyone can right click on any photo and choose "copy image location" and then send it to a friend who doesn't have access to that photo. Thus, it's up to individuals to either untag themselves or to ask the person who posted the photo to take it down. As your friend, I will happily comply with any such requests. However, it's NOT my job (beyond the reasonableness test I outlined) to censor myself and try to predict how you will react to my online activities.
For the record, I did change my settings to allow only friends of friends to see my photos because it doesn't really matter to me so why not make some people happy. However, I don't think that I should have had to do so on principle.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
"D" (whoever that is) says thank you!
I can only assume you were talking about Derek Gluckman.
Post a Comment